I'm Ryan Robbins. I'm a free-lance writer from Bangor, Maine, and a graduate of the University of Maine, with a bachelor of arts degree in journalism and psychology. My hobbies include maintaining bangorinfo.com, umpiring baseball, writing, photography, mountain biking, hiking, cross country skiing, and downhill skiing.
I have been a National Federation-certified baseball umpire since 1993. The National Federation of State High School Associations governs the rules for most states' high school sports. I also umpire Little League baseball, primarily in the junior and senior divisions, and American Legion. I have umpired in numerous Eastern Maine high school playoff games in all classifications, district and state Little League tournaments, and in the 1999 and 2000 New England Divisionals for the senior division.
I am also an assistant tournament director for the Senior League Baseball World Series, Little League Baseball's world championship for players ages 14 through 16. In addition, I volunteer for the Bangor Land Trust, helping to monitor the land trust's properties and lead educational programs.
Pets are a big part of my family; I have one cat, Thomas. My parents have two dogs, two cats and a 40-year-old turtle; my oldest sister has one dogs and four cats; my youngest sister has one cat.
Check out some of the stories and columns I've written for The Maine Campus and free-lance.
Columns and commentaries
- The truth about black bears (July 31, 2008)
- Escapism, celebration goal of Bumstock music festival (April 28, 1999)
- Bond an enduring classic: 007 films remain popular with all ages, genders (Feb. 3, 1998)
- LL pitchers' arms need protection (Oct. 2, 1998)
- Maine Campus in the red (Nov. 1, 2000)
- Mental hygiene important for all (May 12, 2000)
- Conversation with a telemarketer (Dec. 8, 1997)
- Free speech under siege at UMaine (Sept. 30, 1998)
- Computer speech no different from other speech (Nov. 3, 1997)
- Why we have Mental Illness Awareness Week (Oct. 10, 1997)
- Instant replay not for baseball (Oct. 27, 1997)
- Give mentally ill voting rights (Oct. 17, 1997)
- The Stigma of Mental Illness (March 20, 1996)
- UMaine violates environmental laws (April 1, 1998)
- Ratings -- Local stations seek the right viewership (Sept. 19, 1997)
- University of Maine at Augusta student seeks identity (March 24, 1997)
- Hoaxes gain new life on the 'Net (April 1, 1997)
- Maine DOT frowns on barrels in city crosswalks (Oct. 16, 1996)
- Student ID numbers socially insecure (Feb. 17, 1995)
- University of Maine System in violation of Privacy Act (March 27, 1995)
- More NCAA violations involving Maine hockey found (March 29, 1995)
- Fired cashier's daughters speak out against university (April 13, 1995)
- Student governments go online to reduce apathy (Feb. 25, 1994)
- Computer information system connects campus (April 26, 1993)
- Winter depression can be effectively treated (April 8, 1996)
Send mail to Ryan!